Sunday 30 December 2012

Tony Greig - Part 1

Tony Greig was my cricketing hero. He is my cricketing hero. Will always be my cricketing hero.

  • First up. He was Captain of Sussex County Cricket Club. My team. Tony's team. Our team! 
  • Second up. He was Captain of England. My Country. Tony's team. An average team.
  • Third Up. He was the man who not only loved cricket but also recognised and was prepared to fight for the rights of working cricketers. (ok, ok, maybe not all cricketers. But...)
I first saw Tony Greig at Hove, cracking a belligerent fifty against a dull Northants/Notts/Warwicks... who cared attack. He was IMPERIOUS. Gray Nicholls. High Stance. High back lift. SMASH! BIFF! THUMP! RUNS GALORE!

With Greigy, alongside the mighty John Snow, I was hooked. How lucky was I? My County had the two best players in the World! And the most inspirational Captain too...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments