Sunday 7 November 2010

Hackwatch #1

Peter Roebuck - Just whose side are you on?

I was strolling through Kings Cross last night at about (well, maybe it was early this morning) and a fellow with big hairy arms, a rather challenging moustache and size 14 boots sidled up to me an asked me a rather awkward question. Peter Roebuck - Just whose side is he on?

I took a step to the left and then I took step to the right. I was just about to launch into the timewarp as the impertinence of the question had left me in blizzard of confusion. He is a former Somerset captain, tipped for England honours, foe of Beefy & Sir Viv, designated 'brainbox' & highly regarded cricket mind and yet and yet...

He now writes for the Sydney Morning Herald (amongst others I presume), peppering his rather jaundiced prose with local vernacular such as 'Poms' or 'Smoko's' or any other rather demeaning phrases he has picked up from his copy of 'How to speak Strine'. He criticizes Ponting & Strauss in the same breath, praises the indomitable spirit of the Aussie team and calls for Clarke to take over despite his obvious limitations as a captain. It is all very schizophrenic and intriguing indeed.

And so, as I said to 'Delores' this morning, I'm really not sure about Robo, really not sure at all. However, I promise to keep a close eye on him as the series develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave any comments